Glanmire 1-9 Castlelyons 0-10 (After Extra Time) – Glanmire Football Club
Glanmire Football Club
Don't Miss

Glanmire 1-9 Castlelyons 0-10 (After Extra Time)

The Glanmire Under 21’s crept into their third successive East Cork Final yesterday, but only after Extra time were they able to see off a dogged and highly intense Castlelyons side.

The game was played in excellent conditions in Paddy Duggan Memorial park, with a large crowd in attendance. It was Castlelyons who made the most of the conditions initially, with 2 points in the opening minutes to take control of proceedings early on. It took Glanmire about 10 minutes to mark their presence, with James O’Sullivan pointing to level the game at 2 a piece. Castlelyons were very diligent in their approach and moved towards goal at tremendous pace. It wasn’t long before they finally got through on goal, but a fine save from Oisin Barry denied them from taking control of the game. While both teams attacked quite well, both were wasteful in front of the posts, and both defences did hold their boundaries excellently. Kevin Allen, Andrew McCann and Shane Garvey were certainly on song for Glanmire, with Garvey responsible for some critical turnovers that stifled the Castlelyons attack. It was just before half time that Glanmire took a massive step towards victory, with an excellent run from Gerard O’Callaghan being rewarded with a pass through on goal, and Ger was more than able to compliment with a shot to the back of the net. Castlelyons promptly replied before the half time whistle with 2 points, to leave the half time score at 1-3 to 0-5.

Castlelyons seemed to make the most of the half time break, and came out picking up where they left off in the first. They made the most of their purple patch and after levelling proceedings, proceeded to take a 1 point lead in the opening 10 minutes, with a 1-3 to 0-7 lead. Glanmire hit back and were very unlucky not to double their goal tally, with David Dawson agonisingly see his rocket come back off the crossbar. After Glanmire brought their return to 1-4, Castlelyons took the driving seat, and scored 2 quick fire points to take a 1-4 to 0-9 lead. In a game as close as it was, it seemed for a long time that those points would be enough to fend off Glanmire’s fight. Glanmire seemed to lose their bottle after these scores, with some soft turnovers and dropped ball ensuring the deficit was kept at 2 points. In the final 7 minutes, Glanmire awoke from their slumber, and cut the deficit to the minimum through a point from Shane O’Driscoll. The management on both sides as well as the large crowd in attendance had their nerves worn thin as time ticked and both teams looked for the score that would swing the pendulum in their favour. That pendulum eventually fell to Glanmire, as a free was awarded to them just outside to 21 yard line. The unenviable task was left to substitute Peter McCarthy, who coolly slotted the ball over the bar to level the score line. After a few more minutes of tense play, the referee blew the final whistle. To bring this epic battle to extra time.

Glanmire showed their mettle excellently in extra time. As Castlelyons withered after such a hard fought battle, Glanmire shifted into another gear and dominated possession, and scored 3 vital points to take them over the finish line. While their opponents attacked valiantly in the closing 5 minutes, the Glanmire defence showed their experience and skill and defended powerfully to quell any hopes of a comeback.

While there was huge delight at the final whistle, there was also sincere relief at the result, considering how close we were to defeat in normal time. But alas, Glanmire and Aghada will now contest the East Cork decider for the 3rd year running. Hopefully it will be 3rd time lucky for the lads, but luck will only achieve so much, the lads will have to ready themselves for what will surely be another titanic battle.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *